The next utility meeting is set for November 18, 2021

The Utilities Committee meets on the third Thursday of the month at 7:30 AM


Al Watson,

Development Service, Inc


Loren Moreland,



Amanda DeMarco,



The Housing & Building Association of Colorado Springs promotes policies that allow for the production of safe and attainable housing and enhances the environment for the housing and building industry in El Paso County.


Members meet with representatives from local utilities and municipalities to participate in discussions regarding development related issues – including codes, regulations, costs, material specifications, timing, etc.


Black Hills Energy – 2021 Service Lateral Fee Schedule

(effective March 1, 2021)
Black Hills Energy has been installing service laterals at no costs up to 100′ and at a price per foot over 100′. Per a tariff with the PUC in Rate Base Area 3, the construction allowance for a service lateral is $174 per meter. On average, BHE pays their contractors $650 per 1/2″ service lateral. Based on the Tariff, BHE will contribute $174 as a construction allowance and the difference shall be paid by the customer. Fee Schedule

CSU Joint Trench Location

The sub-committee has completed their review of the City’s and CSU’s combined effort to define new underground utility cross sections. The location for the joint trench will be under sidewalk with water stop boxes remaining on house side of sidewalk. This will allow for trees in the span between sidewalk and curb.

City of Colorado Springs Stormwater
Construction Manual


A Grading and Erosion Control (GEC) Permit is required prior to clearing, grading, excavation, filling, and other land disturbing activities. GEC Plans and CSWMPs must be developed and approved prior to GEC Permit issuance.


Any private or public construction site with construction activities disturbing one or more acres, or construction activities that are part of a larger common plan of development or sale that disturb one or more acres is required to obtain a City GEC Permit. Construction activities are defined in the definitions section in Chapter 1 of the Stormwater Construction Manual.

Construction activities involving the following will also trigger the requirement for a GEC Permit:

  • Any grading or construction within an open drainage channel as determined by the review engineer.
  • Any time a Permanent Control Measure is constructed or substantially modified, to be defined as involving non-maintenance related activities. Adjustments or modifications to the control structure plate will not trigger the requirement for a GEC Permit.
  • On any site as deemed necessary and required by the SWENT Manager.

Sites meeting the above criteria must control erosion and prevent the transport of sediment onto adjacent properties, public rights-of-ways, streets, storm drainage facilities, channels or any other public or private facilities.


When there is a change in ownership for a parcel covered by an active GEC Permit (e.g. single family residential lot(s) or individual commercial lot(s) within a larger development), the new owner must accept responsibility for compliance with the original GEC Permit for their parcel(s). This is accomplished by obtaining an Associate GEC Permit. Associate GEC Permit applications must be submitted to the Stormwater Enterprise for approval prior to initiation of construction activities on such parcels.

Permit applications are handled through the ACA Portal

Erosion Control Example for Individual House Sites


GEC PERMITLess than 1 acre$250
GEC PERMIT1 acre to 5 acres$1,000
GEC PERMITGreater than 5 acres$1,750
Start without passing initial inspection
Less than 1 acre$500
Start without passing initial inspection
1 acre to 5 acres$2,000
Start without passing initial inspection
Greater than 5 acres$3,500

Start without approved GEC plan and CSWMP
Less than 1 acre$750

Start without approved GEC plan and CSWMP
1 acre to 5 acres$3,000

Start without approved GEC plan and CSWMP
Greater than 5 acres$5,250
AGEC Permitfee per lot$100
Permit Reinstatement Fee (after SWO)$500

City of Colorado Springs & Colorado Springs Utilities Underground Damage Prevention Safety Program

The City has partnered with CSU to stand up a local enforcement program to oversee excavation activities and requirements. Contractors will still call for locates through the 811 program, however CSU will now be able to address complaints and infractions at a local level. A new Article 10 (Underground Damage Prevention Safety Program) of Chapter 12 (Utilities) of the Code of the City of Colorado Springs has been approved – resulting in a change to City Code.

Colorado Springs Stormwater Enterprise – Requirements for Storm Drain Video Inspections


Construction has remained strong through Q2 of 2020 – adding to the backlog of storm sewer scopes. In an effort to mitigate the backlog, the City has approved the use of 3rd party inspectors/scoping. Developers can submit 3rd party scope videos using the new published criteria.

Colorado Springs Utilities – Water Wise Rules

When it comes to outdoor watering and new landscapes, one change in 2020 are the City’s new water-wise rules. These rules require an establishment permit when you install new landscaping that is watered with overhead irrigation.

Establishment permits for turfgrass and non-native grasses also require soil preparation with an approved soil amendment high in organic matter. This type of amendment is crucial to help retain soil moisture between watering days and ultimately saves water while helping to create a more resilient turf.

The online application is available here. If you have any feedback or questions, please email ESTP@csu.org.