El Paso County Lot Control Measures – Inspecting & Reporting | May 12, 2021

The County’s Department of Public Works Stormwater staff have started to take a more active approach with regards to inspecting home building sites within larger plans of development.  This class covered the types of issues that Stormwater Inspectors are encountering, the inspection and reporting process as it relates to builders, and how to stay in compliance with your stormwater permit.

Meeting Recording | Audio Only | Slide Presentation


SCM Requirements- Maintaining GEC Site Compliance |  April 14, 2021

This class was on overview of the new Stormwater Construction manual (SCM). Participants received instruction on how to maintain compliance with the City of Colorado Spring’s stormwater inspection program.

Meeting Recording | Audio Only | Slide Presentation


CDPHE Updates – Amended Inspection Process and Permit Modifications  |  March 10, 2021

We kicked off our 2021 Wet Wednesday series with an update from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE). Updates included the division’s amended inspection process due to COVID as well as a deep dive into the recent permit modification of the construction stormwater permit (COR4000000).

Meeting Recording | Audio OnlySlide Presentation



Fact Sheet (COR40000)

Final Stabilization Guidance

Diversion Guidance

Permit Certification

Memo on RO’s (Responsible Official)

City of Colorado Springs STORMWATER

6.3 Alternative Construction Control Measures

The Permittee may coordinate with the Stormwater Enterprise to implement an alternative Construction Control Measure. Alternative Control Measures may or may not be proprietary in nature. A list of previously approved alternative Control Measures is included on the City website. If a Control Measure is not currently included as a standard detail or on the alternative Control Measures list, the process for adding an alternative Control Measure is as follows:

  • Step 1: Permittee submits a legible detail of the proposed alternative, including installation and maintenance requirements, to their GEC Inspector or review engineer.
  • Step 2: The GEC Inspector or review engineer will submit the proposed alternative electronically to the Alternative Control Measure Review Group, consisting of the Development Review Program Manager, Engineering Supervisor, Senior Technical Engineer, and area GEC Inspector / review engineer as applicable.
  • Step 3: The review group will either approve or deny the use of the submitted alternative. If the proposed alternate is not approved, then the Permittee will be notified and no further action is required.
  • Step 4: If the proposed alternate is approved, the Permittee will be notified and the detail will be added to the alternative Control Measures list.

The City reserves the right to deny the use of any proposed alternative Construction Control Measure, even if previously approved, if performance of the Construction Control Measure over time is deemed to be insufficient.

Grading and Erosion Control Permit

A Grading and Erosion Control (GEC) Permit is required prior to clearing, grading, excavation, filling, and other land disturbing activities.  GEC Plans and CSWMPs must be developed and approved prior to GEC Permit issuance.


Any private or public construction site with construction activities disturbing one or more acres, or construction activities that are part of a larger common plan of development or sale that disturb one or more acres is required to obtain a City GEC Permit. Construction activities are defined in the definitions section in Chapter 1 of the Stormwater Construction Manual.

Construction activities involving the following will also trigger the requirement for a GEC Permit:

  • Any grading or construction within an open drainage channel as determined by the review engineer.
  • Any time a Permanent Control Measure is constructed or substantially modified, to be defined as involving non-maintenance related activities. Adjustments or modifications to the control structure plate will not trigger the requirement for a GEC Permit.
  • On any site as deemed necessary and required by the SWENT Manager.

Sites meeting the above criteria must control erosion and prevent the transport of sediment onto adjacent properties, public rights-of-ways, streets, storm drainage facilities, channels or any other public or private facilities.

When there is a change in ownership for a parcel covered by an active GEC Permit (e.g. single family residential lot(s) or individual commercial lot(s) within a larger development), the new owner must accept responsibility for compliance with the original GEC Permit for their parcel(s).  This is accomplished by obtaining an Associate GEC Permit.  Associate GEC Permit applications must be submitted to the Stormwater Enterprise for approval prior to initiation of construction activities on such parcels.

Permit applications are handled through the ACA Portal.


GEC PERMITLess than 1 acre$250
GEC PERMIT1 acre to 5 acres$1,000
GEC PERMITGreater than 5 acres$1,750
Start without passing initial inspection
Less than 1 acre$500
Start without passing initial inspection
1 acre to 5 acres$2,000
Start without passing initial inspection
Greater than 5 acres$3,500

Start without approved GEC plan and CSWMP
Less than 1 acre$750

Start without approved GEC plan and CSWMP
1 acre to 5 acres$3,000

Start without approved GEC plan and CSWMP
Greater than 5 acres$5,250
AGEC Permitfee per lot$100
Permit Reinstatement Fee (after SWO)$500


For additional information on how to obtain a GEC Permit or Associate GEC Permit, please reference the Stormwater Construction Manual.[SW1] A flowchart depicting the major steps in the process to obtain a GEC Permit is included below:


The new Associate Permit process under the Stormwater Construction Manual will require individual lot applications that reference proposed lot CCM’s (Construction Control Measures) to be installed per provided lot templates.