The next Code Review meeting is set for January 18, 2022
The Code Review Committee meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 AM.
The Housing & Building Association of Colorado Springs promotes policies that allow for the production of safe and attainable housing and enhances the environment for the housing and building industry in El Paso County.
Members meet with representatives from the City of Colorado Springs, El Paso County and Regional Building Department and other public agencies to discuss everyday operations, codes, regulations, policies and processes related to residential and commercial construction.
ACTIVE COMMITTEE ITEMS
State Plumbing Code Adoption (2018 IPC)
The State’s official adoption was June 1, 2020. RBD implemented the new code beginning June 14, 2021.
• Significant Changes to the Plumbing Code
State Electrical Code Adoption (2020 NEC)
The State’s official adoption was August 1, 2020. RBD implemented the new code beginning July 31, 2021.
• Significant Changes to the Electrical Code
• Zoom Presentation – December 15, 2020 / Supplemental Material
- On September 29, 2021, the State Electrical Board amended its July 28, 2021 Revised Temporary Variance to portions of Article 210.8 (F) of the 2020 NEC to extend the variance to all HVAC Equipment installations. This variance is to temporarily waive outdoor outlet GFCI compliance only for all HVAC equipment that would fall under section 210.8(F) of the 2020 National Electrical Code. State Link for Bulletin
Higher Efficiency New Construction Residence
Concerning requirements that builders of new residences offer buyers options to accommodate higher efficiency devices.
Preexisting law requires a home builder to offer to a buyer of a new home one of the following:
- A solar panel system or a solar thermal system;
- To prewire or preplumb the home for these systems; or
- A chase or conduit to wire or plumb the home for these systems in the future.
The act also requires a home builder to offer the following options to a buyer of a newly constructed residence, which is defined to mean a traditional detached, single-family home:
- An electric vehicle charging system; upgrades of wiring to accommodate future installation of an electric vehicle charging system; or a 208- to 240-volt alternating current plug-in located in a place accessible to a motor vehicle parking area;
- Efficient electric heating and water heating options; and
- Pricing, energy efficiency, and utility bill information for each option available from the builder.
Homebuilding Lot Templates – City Stormwater Construction Manual
The new Associate Permit process under the Stormwater Construction Manual will require individual lot applications that reference proposed lot CCM’s (Construction Control Measures) to be installed per provided lot templates.
Visit our Stormwater webpage for more information.
Colorado Springs Fire Department – Construction Services
- Working in the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI)
As a result of the Waldo Canyon Fire (2012) and the disastrous outcomes that were experienced, the Colorado Springs Fire Department (CSFD), in partnership with the Housing and Building Association of Colorado Springs (HBA), collaborated to address some critical issues in house design and construction. The result of the collaborated effort was the modification of City code language to safely and reasonably protect those residents who are rebuilding homes in the Waldo Canyon Fire Burn Area or building new homes in any portion of the city of Colorado Springs WUI. The collaboration also resulted in an Ignition Resistant Construction Design Manual that is to be used in conjunction with the 2015 IFC Appendix K. with the intent to show builders and landscapers what construction materials and vegetation requirements they must follow in order to reduce the risk of ignition to a home from an exposure fire.
The City of Colorado Springs’ Wildfire Risk Assessment Site
Construction Design Manual Update (Feb 2021)
HBA members, along with the CSFD Construction Service Team, are working to create a reference guide for approved building materials for working in the WUI. Members are researching compatible materials for assemblies to submit to the fire team for review/consideration. We have formed a small sub-committee and plan to meet monthly. We will offer updates at the monthly CR meetings.
NEW City of Colorado Springs & Colorado Springs Utilities Underground Damage Prevention Safety Program (Implementation set for January 2021)
The City has partnered with CSU to stand up a local enforcement program to oversee excavation activities and requirements. Contractors will still call for locates through the 811 program, however CSU will now be able to address complaints and infractions at a local level. A new Article 10 (Underground Damage Prevention Safety Program) of Chapter 12 (Utilities) of the Code of the City of Colorado Springs has been approved – Ordinance 20-70.
PIKES PEAK REGIONAL BUILDING DEPARTMENT
SINGLE FAMILY PERMITS
Copyright Housing & Building Association of Colorado Springs. All Rights Reserved.